Helping During Labor.
As we all know 90% of the dad to be are present in the labor room with there partner’s. So here’s a tip there is a lot you can do during labor and delivery, to help your partner.
- Help distract your partner during first stage of labor. Talk about your day, watch a movie together whatever she likes to do just divert her attention.
- Unless off course she has been advised to strictly stay on bed go for a walk in the hospital.
- Time her contractions.
- Offer to massage her back and shoulder between contractions.
- Help her relax with the techniques you learnt at your childbirth classes.
- Encourage her during the pushing stage.
The point is to be there for her if she needs you, regardless of whether she is pinching , punching or just squeezing your hands or using words that arnt quite polite 😀
Often, this is the best part and the moment when father’s and partner’s can finally engage with their little one. At this stage you can be actively involved. If your partner is breastfeeding, you can offer her valuable moral support- its not always easy the first time around. Or if you are using formula, you can take turns in feeding the baby.
Help monitor visitors, if she is tired and needs rest avoid visitors around that time of the day. Ask the visitors to sanitize or wash there hand’s before touching the baby. Make her feel special.
Educate yourself about childbirth.
Find the fastest and safest way to the hospital.
Install a car seat.
Keep a copy of all medical documents handy.
Pack your bags in advance.
Manage communication with your health care provider.